What is a Wi-Fi survey and why do you need one?
July 23, 2021
What is a Wi-Fi survey?
Wi-Fi surveys are used to collect information about a wireless environment in order to help plan or optimise its network. They are carried out using specialist software installed onto a portable device that records and analyses the data collected.
A Wi-Fi survey can be used for:
- Pre-deployment to help understand where to places APs for a strong and reliable connection
- Post-deployment to test the performance of a newly installed network
- Periodic checks to ensure the network is still operating as required.
Why perform a Wi-Fi survey?
- Provide optimum coverage and capacity
- Reduce IT downtime
- Keep costs down
- Boost productivity
- Increase security
What types of Wi-Fi survey are there?
- Active – the surveying device is connected to a single AP in order to measure the signal of its network. Active surveys are used to help understand and troubleshoot current Wi-Fi networks.
- Passive – the surveying device is not connected to any AP and only ‘listens’ to the wireless environment. Passive surveys are used to gather information about all APs in the area to obtain an overview of its Wi-Fi performance.
- Predictive – performed prior to deployment, predictive surveys create a simulated model of a wireless network to help determine the best locations for APs to be installed.
What is needed for a Wi-Fi survey?
- Survey Software Program (e.g. Ekahau)
- Floor plan of location
- User specifications (Voice, Data and Video support)
Why choose ITARMI?
Our network of certified engineers are skills matched to each assignment to ensure they have the right qualifications and experience to deliver the best service possible.
From the initial planning right through to the survey and installation, our team will work with you every step of the way to ensure your solution meets your exact requirements with minimal disruption to your business.
To chat to us about the services we provide, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.